Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 5

We got up to another nice day. Temperatures were a bit cool but the sun was shining and we headed to Walden Creek Stables for a trail ride. It was quite comical because the horses were all lined up with little ramps next to them........it really looked like some sort of "ride" at an amusement park. Lee had never really ridden before so he got matched up with a horse named Molly......who throughout the trip went up and down the mountain trails with the slow caution of a great grandma hiking up/down a rocky and steep slope. Lee was slightly disappointed with his steed and noted at one point that Molly appeared more fearful of the steep hills than he was! Molly just took her responsibility of being a safe beginner horse a little too seriously. She didn't even budge when Lee was kicking her with all his might. I being a more experienced rider was paired up with Socks.......who was spunky and fun. Well at least she was as spunky and fun as a stable horse can be.

It was kind of a bummer that they wouldn't let you do anything but walk. Although Lee couldn't have gotten Molly to go faster if he'd tried. Socks on the other hand......may have looked sleepy at the start, but was prancing along impatiently behind ol' Molly throughout the two hour ride. It really really really made me miss having horses. I am always reminded of how therapeutic horses can be for my soul.......

2 comments:

Megan said...

It looks like you guys had a wonderful break and much needed I'm sure! I just cleaned on my Spring Break. Although I LOVE to clean, I'm sure I would have enjoyed your trip much more! :)

The Bontragers said...

Hey Lee & Becca,

I was just checking out all your great pics of TN. Actually, my husband and I have reservations at a cabin with our friends Abby and Darrin around the same location (Abby was my roomate at IWU). I've never been to the Smokey Mtn. area before and can't wait to take in the sights. Your posts were really great to read.