Sunday, May 16, 2010

I'm turning into Doris.



Growing up there was an older couple in our church who were like our second grandparents and they lived just down the road, the Hathaways. They really filled that role in my family's life when our Grandpa Wagner died and my Grandma Wagner got Alzheimers. Things I remember about Doris ....She was one of those women that never sat still. She was the gardening, mushroom hunting, bird watching, elderly farmer's wife. She made amazing pies and cookies with potato chips in them. I remember seeing a swarm of more than 50 hummingbirds at her feeders, I remember her letting me submit flowers from her garden and keeping the prize money just so she could say her flower garden won more ribbons than June Shinaberry. I'm turning into Doris. I'm excited to see an Oriole or a hummingbird. I've got a garden that is too big and am enjoying cutting flowers that are growing all over my yard. As I reflect it's sad. When you move away from where you grew up you don't get to stay in touch or see these sorts of people. Doris passed away in 2003 and her husband Don passed away this week. After I went off to college, I can't even remember the last time I saw either of them, but growing up......they were my grandparents. Love to the Hathaways.

No comments: