Wednesday, July 21, 2010

New Additions to the Family.

In an effort to control our rodent population, I headed to the Animal Shelter to find a few barn kitties. Interesting fact about me, I spent a majority of my life living and loving cats only in recent years to find out that they are a great source of my allergies. Yep it's true....Becca+Kitty= lots of sneezing. So I went looking for mid sized cats that were fiesty and "sturdy". First and foremost they must be able to stand up against Toby and secondly I wanted huntress cats who would strike fear into the hearts of our unsuspecting mice. I found two 4-6 month old kittens that fit the bill.
Introduction #1 Street name: Polka....Adopted Name: Doris.Introduction #2. Street Name: Delores.... Adopted Name: June
Doris and June are fiesty that's for sure. It was explained to me by the volunteers that both kitties had had many people consider them for homes but they were too hyper and played very rough with other kittens and so they were often rejected for calmer, cuddlier kittens. Who wants calm and cuddly....I want killers. :)
I did as my mom told me and buttered their paws. Apparently it's an old wives tale that if you butter the kittens' paws they lick off the butter and also the dirt/pollen from your yard and then they can recognize the scent of home. I don't know but I did it because my mom told me to. :) I don't know what good it will do because they don't seem too keen at this point on venturing into the great outdoors.
They will come out with some coaxing.
And while Lee is NOT keen on having cats...ESPECIALLY that call his garage home...he did build them a nice little hidey hole under the stairs. A place of refuge. This will allow their litter box, food bowls, and hiding spot to be unaccessible to the dog. Pretty sweet idea huh?

Even has a swinging door so I can get in to refill their bowls and clean their box. I took them to the vet today to get weighed and checked out. Doris got a clean bill of health...June on the other hand apparently has a heart murmur. I wasn't quite sure how to respond....I went with shock and horror. OH NO A HEART MURMUR!?!? The vet assurred me it was something we "just needed to keep our eye on at this point." But she followed up that statement with, "June is going to be a big puss." Um.....yeah ok. Not the words I'd use to say that she is big for her age, but whatever. I'm not going to let myself get too attached... they are just barn kitties, but I still am enjoying laughing about it all.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

How do they open that door? It looks heavy for a kitty.

Kristy said...

Ah yes, the dreaded allergies! Of course I always knew I was very allergic to cats, but I found out as an adult that I am also allergic to horses! Apparently not something they tested for in Ohio, but in Kentucky they do. ;)