Monday, August 4, 2008

The days of summer are slipping away......

Count down: 11 days of summer for Lee. 14 days of summer for Becca. It goes by too quickly. I was reminded last week why teachers and counselors need a long vacation as one of my clients stood in their driveway screaming that they hated me, that I should go to hell, and that they didn't want to see me ever again. I can honestly say that it was the first time in my life anyone has ever said those things to me. This is a student who I've really really tried to love well, a student who I've spent my own time and money to try to encourage.......a student that I care about. There was such hatred in his voice. All because I asked a question that upset him. It stings deeply and reminds me what I'm about to go back to. I think four times over the course of last year did various students acknowledge their appreciation for me. Which is fine. I certainly do not do this for the praise or the money! But it is also very difficult to muster up the strength to pour into these kids when they say such hurtful hateful things. It's more than just my job.......it's personal. How I will deal with this I'm not yet sure. I'm praying that God will encourage me. That the Lord will give me strength to once again enter the battlefield prepared to do His work.

In other news...I've pretty much completed all projects for the summer and I have checked the last big one off the list. With school beginning Lee and I will find ourselves very busy. Lee has school, two masters classes, and his internship which will keep him at work much longer hours. I have school and 8th grade volleyball that kicks off at the start of the year. Either way our poor dog will have to be in his crate for a vast majority of the day. I feel bad thinking about him sitting in his crate for 10+ hours a day. So I used a fence that mom bought for us when Toby was a puppy and have turned it into a pack-n-play of sorts. I added the top as well as the mat. I feel better about leaving him in it for many hours because he can at least stand up, stretch out, and walk around.
It also serves one other purpose.......

No comments: